The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness. -R.A. Heinlein

Monday, December 28, 2009

Protecting your identity online

The internet is a very useful yet dangerous tool. It enables you to buy many items from the comfort of your own home, meet new people, catch up with old ones, organize events, stay connected, share ideas, stay informed, etc. However, you must be cautious about who knows what.

Online transactions: Buying things online is very efficient. It enables you to purchase things you couldn't purchase. You can transfer money, buy stocks, even have food delivered right to your door. The problem comes with payment. It requires a credit card. There are some people you can trust, others you can't. Same with everything. Even if you are buying from a trusted dealer, your number could be found by a computer hacker. Some credit card companies allow you to create a disposable credit card. You set an amount on the card, and a certain time that it can be used in. I suggest putting only the amount that you will be spending on the card, and only let it be used for a month at the most. When you create a card, it gives you a number to use. This number is connected to your main account, but can only be used for the amount you alloted, and only for the time alloted. 


Signing up for accounts: Whenever I want to sign up for an account on some website, I have to give out my email address. This leaves it open for spamming if the website chooses. Yahoo has something called address guard. Listed in the mail options, under spam, address guard allows you to set up disposable email addresses. These addresses are connected to your main account, but can be thrown away if compromised. I create a new address for practically every site I join. Helps keep me, and my identity, protected. Also, do not give out anymore than is required. If they are requiring your address and phone number along with the email, it's probably not worth it to join the site.


More to follow. Stay safe, and God bless.


~Sheepdog



No comments:

Post a Comment

I would like to keep my identity private. If you know me, please do not post anything that could compromise me by giving out my name, state, phone, etc. In effect, act as if you do not know me personally. Keep comments civil, and polite please. God bless!