The price of freedom is the willingness to do sudden battle anywhere, any time and with utter recklessness. -R.A. Heinlein

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Stopping power

When you think stopping power what do you think? Probably something over 9mm right? Well, lets take a look at this common misconception. Stopping power is the power to stop an oncoming critter. Now, can you stop someone with a .22? Yes. If you are well trained in the use of your weapon, or just plain lucky, you have stopping power. It does you no good to have a .4o S&W if you can hit the broad side of a barn, let alone center of mass.

Now, does that mean I think you shouldn't carry a bigger caliber? No, it means whatever you carry, let it be an extension of your arm. Train regularly, under stress, in different scenarios, with a time limit, etc. Don't have the mind set that because you have this type of gun, you don't need to train for accuracy.

Now, if you have trained regularly, you have stopping power. If your weapon of choice is a Walther P22, go for it. Its your choice. Id say practice lots and lots of head shots, but thats just me. Now, even wounding someone with a .22 could stop them. Actually, even the appearance of a gun may stop them. Most criminals wont stick around to contest the fact that you have a low caliber gun. Most don't want to get killed or injured.

Stay safe, and may God bless you all.

1 comment:

  1. Veritas, my friend! I would also like to point out a common misconception that I have noticedn my own experiences. Many people tend to believe that, as far as ‘stopping power’ goes, psychologically speaking, bigger is better. This is not necessarily true; yes, an AK-47 is a lot more intimidating-looking than a Glock, but are you really going to walk around with an AK all the time? No. And if you did, you would also become a target in a similar way as if you were wearing a uniform. If you are the only one who knows that your weapon is there, you maintain the element of surprise, and stand a much better chance of stopping someone before they stop you.

    ReplyDelete

I would like to keep my identity private. If you know me, please do not post anything that could compromise me by giving out my name, state, phone, etc. In effect, act as if you do not know me personally. Keep comments civil, and polite please. God bless!